Hardwood Maintenance Tips
To fully appreciate your beautiful new flooring, keep in mind hardwood requires a certain level of care and maintenance. Proper cleaning and precautions will ensure you get the most out of your investment.
Keep Your Hardwood Looking Like New
- Sweep often with a soft-bristle broom to clear away any abrasive dirt that could scratch the finish
- Wipe up spills quickly and avoid wet-mopping, since excess water can damage or warp the wood
- Keep pet nails trimmed and take off your shoes—especially high heels—before you walk across the floor
- Cleaning products are generally not recommended; lukewarm water and a little vinegar are best
- Maintain humidity levels around 40% to prevent wood shrinkage and expansion
- Use throw rugs or mats to prevent dirt and debris from being tracked through the house
- Place pads, felt or glides under furniture, especially when moving heavy items around
- Avoid overexposing your floor to intense light (sun or artificial), which can change the colour of the wood
If you think your floor is damaged beyond repair, The Hardwood Guys offer sanding and refinishing services throughout Edmonton and surrounding areas.